2012/01/21

Do Americans know Gemini dark-fantasy rpg?

"One of the best kept secrets IMO is the defunct "Gemini" RPG. It has the best, most intense setting I've ever seen in a fantasy RPG. Does anyone know if it exists in pdf form? I'd like to revise some of the rules and having a pdf would be a big help".

So an user on rpg.net expresses his view on this "obscure" rpg which seems to have a lot to offer.

On another site, i read:

If Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker and Edgar Allan Poe wrote a fantasy RPG - this would be it.

I was wondering how many americans know it, because i have a copy of this game and it is a peculiar one. I'm not sure it can be regarded as an old-school role-playing game, because it dates back to 1998, but at the same time it is pretty intriguing because as i said, it is sort of "one-of-a-kind" rpg, given its setting.

From Sjgames website:

Most American gamers have probably never heard of Gemini. This is because most of the games that we play over here are American ones. Many gamers probably never stop to think about the fact that there is an entire continent of gamers across the ocean, all gaming away just the way we do (we're talking about Europe here). Most of them just go about their business playing their American stuff and assuming that the term "foreign game" means a non-English translation of an American one.

Well, the truth is that there are plenty of other games out there, and Gemini is a great example of one that is ever-so-slowly creeping its way onto American gaming tables. It hails from Sweden and brings with it a style similar to our own, yet at the same time unique unto itself.

Other info here.

5 comments:

Timmy Crabcakes said...

I've definitely heard of it... but I've never seen it on the shelves hear... or met anyone who had played it.
I've even searched Ebay a bit for it, to no result.

Philosophical slumber said...

you did even not find a pdf of it?

Pulp Herb said...

The Dragon's Lair in West Hartford, CT had a copy on their used shelf for quite some time. I thumbed through it but never bought it. Now seeing the Shelly/Stoker/Poe quote I wish I had.

Ebay has one copy for $55. I wonder if this is going to turn into the long quest replacing my long lost red cover C&S first edition is turning into (I loved the link to the sourcebook pdf).

Philosophical slumber said...

i do have it in pdf.

astrochelonian said...

I own a hardcopy of this great game. It suffers from a very bad translation effort. But the setting is quite evocative, I'd say on par with Warhammer Fantasy's Old World in terms of grimness. What I love the most, however, are the illustrations. For some reason, they remind me of both 80's horror story posters and heavy metal albums. Never tried the system; it doesn't feel like my players would enjoy it. However, I've toyed with the idea of porting the setting to The Burning Wheel. Feels like a good match (albeit a lot of work).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...